Good afternoon SV Community,
We hope everyone is doing well and is preparing for the first day of school next Monday, August 31st.
This year will bring us a year unlike any other, with classes beginning virtually for at least the first semester. You should have been receiving multiple communications from the county and school on how to best prepare your student for the upcoming school year.
With these unprecedented changes, we also are entering into a whole new world in regards to athletics for our student athletes. As you know, the state has postponed Fall and Winter seasons until the second semester. In order to do our best to provide an athletic experience for our student athletes, Montgomery County Athletics has been working with Administrators, Athletic Specialists, Sports Directors, coaches, Student athletes and community members to put together a series of Virtual seasons for the Fall, Winter and Spring sports.
A few important notes:
- 1st Semester will feature a 5-week virtual season for all three seasons
- Fall Sports will run from September 14th– October 16th
- Winter Sports will run from October 26th– December 4th
- Spring Sports will run from December 14th-January 22nd
- The Virtual Seasons will feature a variety of experiences, ranging from guest speakers to sports specific activities.
- In order to participate in the virtual seasons- each student athlete will need to be registered by their parent/guardian using an online Google Form- to be released on Tuesday, August 25th
- All student athletes must use this form
- Physicals can be uploaded to this form
- Students must have a valid physical on file with the school. Given the unprecedented circumstances, for students who are unable to secure an updated physical, MCPS will extend the expiration date of an existing physical by one calendar year. To the extent a student does not have a physical on file with the school, the student will need to obtain one. Due to the strenuous nature of selected activities, each student is encouraged to consult their physician concerning fitness to participate in the program. During any live engagement, parents/guardians and students must ensure that surroundings are free of obstacles and that an appropriate plan is in place on how to access help in the event of an emergency.
- You will choose one sport that you will participate in virtually – each season
- There are no cuts for “virtual seasons”-however those registering for a sport are expected to participate in the activities for that sport
Though there will be much more as you begin to hear from your coaches and the athletic office, this gives you a general idea of what to expect.
In order to best help meet your needs and to give you the opportunity to ask questions or share concerns, the Seneca Valley Athletic Department will be holding a Virtual town Hall for all SVHS Community stakeholders.
This event will take place on Wednesday, September 2nd at 6 pm, via MCPS Zoom. Please note that in order to participate you will need to log in using your student athlete zoom log in information. More information will follow at the end of the week, but please mark your calendars.
We look forward to working with our student athletes this year and please make sure to follow us on twitter, Instagram, Facebook and frequent our website www.svhsathletics.org for all up to the minute athletic information, including coaching contacts
Go Screaming Eagles
Seneca Valley HS